Dating an Oz book

6 replies to this topic

#1 peacockdan

Citizen of Oz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

So a couple months back my grandfather passed away and recently we have started cleaning out his house. I stumbled upon an old, slightly falling apart hardback copy of The Patchwork Girl Of Oz. I was wondering if there is a way to specifically figure out how old it is. I hope that there may be more Oz books stashed somewhere in his house.

#2 ozfan95

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

Check Chapter Three. If it is a first edition, the logo for chapter three should be printed wrong so that some of the text overlaps it. If not, than it is not a first edition, and I don't know any other points that could determine it.

#3 Eric Gjovaag

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:02 AM

If it was published by Reilly and Britton, it was printed before 1919. If it is published by Reilly and Lee, after 1919. If it has color pictures, it was published before 1935. There are other more specific points that can pin it down even closer, but these are definitely the ones to start with.

#4 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

To date an Oz book, you have to be on good terms, introduced and then ask very nicely. Good luck, buddy.

... Oh wait...

#5 peacockdan

Citizen of Oz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostEric Gjovaag, on 23 October 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

If it was published by Reilly and Britton, it was printed before 1919. If it is published by Reilly and Lee, after 1919. If it has color pictures, it was published before 1935. There are other more specific points that can pin it down even closer, but these are definitely the ones to start with.

It was published by Reilly and Britton. All of the pictures in the book are in black and white, excluding the ones at the beginning of the chapters, those are in color.

#6 Eric Gjovaag

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

View Postpeacockdan, on 24 October 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

It was published by Reilly and Britton. All of the pictures in the book are in black and white, excluding the ones at the beginning of the chapters, those are in color.

Then you have a very early edition. You have the "Chapter 3" information to determine if it's one of the earliest printings, but even if it's not it's still probably pretty valuable, depending on its condition. Now you'll need an expert to take a look at it to give you more concrete information. Good luck!

#7 theozian1

Wanderer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

View PostJay Davis, on 23 October 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

To date an Oz book, you have to be on good terms, introduced and then ask very nicely. Good luck, buddy.

... Oh wait...

i honestly came here just to see if someone made a joke about it...

i would have said, ask if it wants a drink, it all goes well rethink your life choices

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users