Rifftrax takes on "The Wonderful Land of Oz"

5 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Gjovaag

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

If you have ever seen the really awful 1969 movie The Wonderful Land of Oz, you'll know that it's just ripe for the MST3K treatment. Well now it's got it! http://www.rifftrax....rful-land-of-oz (and I really wish I could spare a few dollars to get this one right now…)

#2 Dave T. Rocket

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

I was a big MSTie, but never really got into RiffTrax for some reason. Part of it is because you have to have some copy of the movie on hand in order for it to work, and if it's a bad movie, it's probably not one that I'd have on DVD and if it's one that I like enough to own, then I more than likely don't want to hear it mocked. I guess with streaming services and whatnot, you don't actually have to own the movie, but still, money is another factor. I didn't have to pay to watch MST3K. However, I have been to a couple live RiffTrax shows in the past year and those were pretty fun. The MST3K reunion show had me laughing hard enough that I feared I might black out (which might be a sign of some medical issue). Anyway, I might be willing to fork over the cash to see The Wonderful Land of Oz getting eviscerated; based on the little I've seen on YouTube, that movie is more than deserving.

#3 Eric Gjovaag

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:22 AM

The nice thing about this version is that int even comes with the movie!
Of course, I've sort of seen a live version of this being heckled anyway. At my very first Oz convention in 1980, this was part of the Friday night program. We started commenting on it before the first reel change!

#4 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

I am looking forward to getting this one. The audio on the movie was so bad, once my siblings and I watched it and just turned the volume all the way down and made up our own dialogue and songs on the spot.

Mombi: (When she's about to leave Tip alone when she goes upstairs to go to bed.) "I'm going to climb up this ladder, fall down and break my neck. Except, I don't think I want to do that. I'm a chicken." (She points at an offscreen Tip.) "Just like you!"

Tip: (Holding up the now empty satchel.) "Why did you dump all of our food out on the ground?"
Jack: "Well, I had to sneeze!"

Jinjur (singing) "We're going to kill the purple cows and make them into hamburgers!"

#5 CowardlyLion

Royal Historian

• Moderators
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBelen, NM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

I do not pretend to understand all of the abreviations in these posts. I have seen this movie, having ordered it from a frequent contributor to this group (I won't embarrass anyone by naming names). I agree about the sound quality. As someone else pointed out a while back, Barry Mahon fans probably aren't that interested in the sound, anyway. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a total parody, either. But for the sake of--I'm not sure--What I have is a VHS. I do not see any Region number, so I'm not sure that applies to anything prior to DVD. I probably don't have the right equipment anyway, but I might give this a look if somebody wants to help me figure out what these unfamiliar phrases and abbreviations mean. This might work better off of the list, as my limited knowledge of things technological isn't going to apply to anybody else.
"To be individual, my friends, to be different from others, is the only way to become distinguished from the common herd. Let us be glad, therefore, that we differ from one another in form and in disposition. Variety is the spice of life and we are various enough to enjoy one another's society; so let us be content."
--the Cowardly Lion of Oz
http://sites.google....owardlylionsite

#6 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

MST3K is "Mystery Science Theater 3000," the show that'd show old movies and riff on them. RiffTrax basically does the same thing by offering an audio file you can play along with the movie, or seemingly in this case, also offering the audio over the video.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users