Mother Goose in Prose

3 replies to this topic

#1 carlitOZ

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Guys, would you recommend this book? My kids love books and I thought about this one the other day. I have never seen it. My kids are close to 2 years old. Some old children's books can be violent or with ideas fully out of touch with today's world being for example views on women and such.
And Father Goose: His Book?
Thanks,
Carlo

#2 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostcarlitOZ, on 30 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Guys, would you recommend this book? My kids love books and I thought about this one the other day. I have never seen it. My kids are close to 2 years old. Some old children's books can be violent or with ideas fully out of touch with today's world being for example views on women and such.
And Father Goose: His Book?
Thanks,
Carlo

I can't recall any violent or exceptionally sexist moments from Mother Goose in Prose. The stories are going to have that flavor from 1897, though.

Father Goose: His Book has a really bad poem about an African-American boy (and they don't call him African-American or "black") and some other ethnic stereotypes.

Parental guidance is recommended. Since your kids are so young, you might be able to read Mother Goose yourself and retell them the stories. Father Goose is trickier as there are some fun rhymes but also some ideas that should be left in the past. I think theres some PDF versions you could edit if you might want to go for an e-version or if you're up for using a POD service, print yourself an "edited" version.

#3 carlitOZ

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Jay!

#4 CowardlyLion

Royal Historian

• Moderators
  • 156 posts
  • LocationBelen, NM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

There is also a Muppet version that has many of the stories. I think it is available on some form of video. As I recall, it was geared toward a much younger audience than most Muppet productions (including Sesame Street).
"To be individual, my friends, to be different from others, is the only way to become distinguished from the common herd. Let us be glad, therefore, that we differ from one another in form and in disposition. Variety is the spice of life and we are various enough to enjoy one another's society; so let us be content."
--the Cowardly Lion of Oz
http://sites.google....owardlylionsite

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users