The Future of the Forum

6 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

So, since closing off registrations due to an unstoppable flood of spam, I'm having to question if we want to keep the forums going. We had registration open for months and saw few new users.

Our problem with staying open and accepting new members is the fact that the spambots have grown too smart. A major curb would be to enable e-mail activation, the problem is, our forum software is either not sending e-mail or during a short time that our servers had been hacked, our e-mail domain was totally blacklisted by most if not all e-mail providers. Without e-mail verification, our only safeguards were a CAPTCHA and security questions, which have recently proved to no longer be that effective.

Still, that doesn't change the fact that the forum wasn't catching on.

I personally dislike taking any information off of the Internet, so I have no interest in removing the forums, but without being sure we can accept new members without spambots registering and posting multiple times in a matter of minutes, the forum would easily become flooded with spam. No one has time to constantly remove spam. Either we keep registration closed or just accept the inundation of spam.

But what good is a community that doesn't allow new members? So I'm asking if we might like to move our conversations to Reddit. There are already current Oz-based subreddits, and we also have the option of beginning our own subreddit. On a sub, we wouldn't have the categories like what I've set up here, but we could have pinned threads for things such as trading. Also, one Reddit registration is all you need to access any other communities you like.

I would keep the forums online, but it would basically be a legacy site, although registered members would still be allowed to post.

So, basically, I can't open registration again without the forums becoming an embarassment, but we can explore the option of going to Reddit. Question is, do we want to join a current subreddit or start our own?

#2 Eric Gjovaag

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

If we were to join an already established subreddit, which one would you propose? I regularly look into and often post to /r/wizardofoz, so anything to drive more people there and increase postings is a good thing, in my opinion.

#3 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

There's also r/LandofOz, but it seems to be pretty dead.

#4 Eric Gjovaag

Royal Historian

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

Hmm, I see what you mean. (There was also some lively conversations going on in r/emeraldcity until it was taken over to talk about the NBC show.) Well, then, we could just take over r/landofoz. But I'd rather we all migrate over to r/wizardofoz and expand the conversations and user base there. Oz fandom is fractured enough as it is, so we should all try to come together rather than break off into some exclusive enclave.

#5 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

View PostEric Gjovaag, on 16 April 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Hmm, I see what you mean. (There was also some lively conversations going on in r/emeraldcity until it was taken over to talk about the NBC show.) Well, then, we could just take over r/landofoz. But I'd rather we all migrate over to r/wizardofoz and expand the conversations and user base there. Oz fandom is fractured enough as it is, so we should all try to come together rather than break off into some exclusive enclave.

That sounds good. Here's the hyperlink: https://www.reddit.com/r/wizardofoz/

#6 CowardlyLion

Royal Historian

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationBelen, NM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

I have never heard of this place and do not know what some of these terms mean. I am willing to learn. Still, I am very unhappy that these spambots were ever invented.
"To be individual, my friends, to be different from others, is the only way to become distinguished from the common herd. Let us be glad, therefore, that we differ from one another in form and in disposition. Variety is the spice of life and we are various enough to enjoy one another's society; so let us be content."
--the Cowardly Lion of Oz
http://sites.google....owardlylionsite

#7 Jay Davis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostCowardlyLion, on 18 April 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

I have never heard of this place and do not know what some of these terms mean. I am willing to learn. Still, I am very unhappy that these spambots were ever invented.

Reddit is a website that allows many "subreddits" to exist. "Subreddits" are basically message boards, and people can post threads and reply in them. In addition, using arrows next to each post, you can upvote or downvote a post.

That's really basically it.

Just some posts are links to other sites and you have to click the "comments" link underneath to actually leave a comment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users